Wednesday, January 16, 2013

I TOLD THEM TO TAKE CARE OF IT

Have you ever received a call from a customer that complains that you didn't correct the problem they complained about yesterday? If you haven't received such a call I am suggesting some day you will. 

You talk to the supervisor and their answer is I told them to take care of it.  What is wrong with this picture? First of all, if all the supervisor is going to do is tell them to take care of it, I question whether you need that supervisor. I remember several years ago I had a supervisor that did just what I discussed above. He would take the issues we had in his area each day and "tell them to correct them". It didn't take me too long to determine that I can pass messages myself and he was an excellent candidate for me to take to lunch and buy his to go.  Let's examine though, a couple of things that may have gone wrong when the customer has to call the second time on an issue.

First, what should the supervisor do beside "tell" them to take care of the problem? They should examine the area first to make sure they understand the issue. Then they should take the employee to the area and CONDUCT A TRAINING SESSION on the proper way to correct the issue so that it doesn't happen again. That brings me to another major issue---When was the last time you had a refresher training class for supervisors to make sure they are following the company approved system of cleaning? I suggest a training class for EVERYONE, including supervisors, at least two times yearly. Make it mandatory and pay them to attend. We all get into bad habits and many times we find that the supervisor may have the best intentions but is conducting a training class in the field on how to do it WRONG.

I might add this is my objection to companies having their training program for new employees be one of sending the new employee out to work with a long term employee or a supervisor so they can learn.  My concern is that the new employee is learning allright--learning how to do it WRONG. 

Second, make sure you are communicating to the employee in language and verbage they understand. In today's multicultural workforce we many times have different nationalities that have different meanings for words we take for granted in our vocabulary. I have given this illustration in an earlier blog posted in 2012 but it bears repeating. Do an exercise where you as your employees to give their meaning for words such as 

FIRE-

DIAMOND--

TRAIN--

RECORD--

Each of us may have a different definition of these words and unless we agree on a common definition, we are positioned for trouble.

Recently I conducted a workshop for a client where we had employees from 4 different countries attending. I decided to use the exercise where I asked each of them to define what the words listed above and some others that I included, meant to them. We then posted them on the board for everyone to see and WOW, what a variety of definitions we got. I had made my point. When you tell someone to "take care of it" we need to be sure everyone understands EXACTLY what it is they are taking care of and how they are to take care of it.

If you haven't done so, let me suggest you try this exercise with your staff and see the different definitions of the words you get. It may surprise you and also help explain why some of the issues you have in the field aren't being taken care of in the manner which you would like. Sometimes we find it hard to understand, but most employees want to do a good job, but they need to receive training in a systematic, formal way--in the way that you want it done. That's why it is important to have the refresher course every 6 months so you can correct any flaws, introduce new procedures and products etc. Have your supervisors conduct some of the training so you can see if they are doing it the way you want it done and politely correct anything you see that is contrary to your way of doing it. Don't embarrass anyone, make it a fun learning session. 

We can avoid that second call on the same complaint if we make sure we have the systems and processes in place that communicates in a process and language that everyone understands. Try it, you'll like it. 

Next week on our pod cast we will be showing the interview I did recently with the new incoming president of BSCAI, Kevin Rohan. I invite you to look in on it at www.tripodcast.com where you can also sign up to receive a notice each time a new pod cast is posted I think you will find it very interesting. Kevin is an outstanding BSC and has a great company and I believe he will be a super president for the association.

Till next time.   

 

  

 

   

 

No comments: