Wednesday, December 5, 2012

A TRIBUTE TO ZIG

Back in 1988, in the midst of the only year I lost money in my BSC business, I decided to attend a 4 hour seminar conducted by Zig Ziglar. I thought, what can a man talk about for four hours? Boy did I find out. This native of Yazoo City, Mississippi had plenty to say. He held the room of 400+ spellbound with his formula for success and more. 

I left there and purchased the Zig Ziglar See You at the Top/Strategies for Success program with the idea of making it a part of our management training program. My wife and I went to Dallas, spent a week learning how to teach the program, and came home excited as "certified trainers" of the course. 

We did indeed make it part of our management training. The 15 week 3 hour per session training classes became an integral part of our staff's professional growth and development. I watched as class participants had tears running down their cheeks as they told of how the course had transformed their lives and made them better parents and spouses as well as better managers for our company. I would be lieing if I told you there weren't a few tears rolling down my cheeks as well as I listened to their stories. What a profound difference Zig made in our lives. 

No one human has influenced my life more than Zig Ziglar. If you have read some of my work or attended any of my workshops or convention presentations you will no doubt know that every session generally has a Zigism or two incorporated into it. I can't help it, he has been that much of an influence. 

Zig Ziglar died last week at the age of 86 still influencing people's lives and encouraging them to follow the path to success. I want to spend the rest of this blog listing some of my favorite Zig sayings. I want to encourage you to read each of them carefully and see how they apply to your life and then follow his advice. I assure you it will be well worth you time and effort. 

Starting with what was probably his signature saying,

+++++You can have everything in life you want, if you will just help enough other people get what they want. 

+++++Your business is never really good or bad "out there". Your business is either good or bad between your own two ears.

+++++The real opportunity for success lies within the person and not in the job.

+++++It is easy to get to the top after you get through the crowd at the bottom.

+++++If we don't start, it's certain we can't arrive.

+++++Obviously, there is little you can learn from doing nothing.

+++++Obstacles are the things we see when we take our eyes off our goals.

+++++Lack of direction, not lack of time, is the problem. We all have twenty-four hour days. 

+++++Remember, you can earn more money, but when time is spent it is gone forever.

+++++The chief cause of failure and unhappiness is trading what you want most for what you want now. 

+++++If people like you they'll listen to you, but if they trust you they will do business with you. 

+++++Ability can take you to the top, but it takes character to keep you there. 

+++++When we do more than we are paid to do, eventually we will be paid more for what we do. 

+++++Some people find fault like there is a reward for it.

+++++The price of success is much lower than the price of failure.

+++++Remember there is plenty of room at the top--but not enough to sit down. 

+++++You don't "pay the price " for success--you enjoy the benefits of success.

And I could go on and on. Which ones are your favorites? It's hard to choose, isn't it? 

Rest in peace Zig Ziglar, you transformed a lot of lives and your work will continue to transform many more. The angels are rejoicing now to have you among them. 

Till next time.  

No comments: