Thursday, February 23, 2012

BUYING SUPPLIES/I'LL GET IT AT SAM'S

When we start out in this business we are looking for any way we can to save a dollar. I know I did. I can remember in the first months of my business existence, how we pulled trailers behind our cars with our company logo on the trailers. Saved us buying a van for the first year we were in business.

One of the ways many contractors attempt to save money is on the cleaning supplies and equipment they purchase. While it is commendable to be frugal, sometimes you can make decisions that cost you considerably more dollars in the long run. Cleaning supplies and equipment is one such decision. Are you really saving money running to Sam's or Costco?

As you grow your business, many potential clients want to know what products you are using and if they are environmentally safe. This is particularly true with the emphasis on green cleaning in this 21st century. What do you say when they ask what products you use? "I buy whatever is cheapest at Sam's". I don't think so.

Another potential problem with buying supplies and equipment wherever it is cheapest or whatever is on sale, lies in the need to keep Material Safety Data Sheets (MSDS) on every product that you use in a facility. Once you buy all types of different products from whatever sale is occurring you are potentially setting yourself up for a sizable fine from OSHA.

One more thing. Each spray bottle must have a correct label on it. A magic marker saying Dickie's disinfectant is not a correct label. OSHA fines per bottle if they decide to levy such a fine when an inspection occurs.

In my book entitled "THE DO'S AND DON'TS OF CONTRACT CLEANING FROM ONE WHO DID AND DIDN'T, I outline 10 steps you should take to purchase your supplies and equipment BEFORE you ask the price. Following these 10 steps will save a lot of headaches for both you and your staff and the earlier the better.

In my book I also write of another mistake I made. As I got larger I thought I was now in a position to go directly to the manufacturer and get better pricing AND many of them would private label for me. Imagine, all the mop buckets and spray bottles with my company name and logo on them. Wow! I was in the big time.

Wait a minute. Where's all the help I need if I have a problem. ( Hint, hint, one of the 10 points talks about this help). What do I do if I have a product liability claim? If I'm doing a bad job in a building, it's better if people don't know I'm cleaning it. Put aside your ego, Mr. Ollek, and utilize the local help that's available.

I learned that my prospects and customers were more familiar with Spartan, Diversey, Ecolab, or Betco than if I told them I was using Dickie's disinfectant.

Don't let your ego get in the way. Lay out a methodical plan of buying supplies and equipment and stick to it. Be consistent and you'll save bunches of money in the long run.

By the way, don't forget to go to www.tripodcast.com for our Monday morning free pod cast. These are short, concise, messages to help you manage yourself and your business better. You can sign up there to get a notice whenever a new tripodcast is posted and you can also listen to some older sessions. Our web site at www.consultantsincleaning.com also carries some older messages.

Later.


No comments: