Wednesday, June 19, 2013

WHO IS THEY?

Have you ever heard someone say something like "They say so and so is having marital problems, or so and so has a drinking problem or they say so and so is on drugs"? Have you ever made a comment that begins with the words "They say"? Have you ever asked someone when they begin a conversation that is along the line of gossip or derogitory to someone you know, "Who is they"?

Let's take it one step further and bring to our own company that we work for. Ever heard someone say "The company, they won't give us a raise or the company, they should do the process this way or that way"? Unless you are deaf you have probably heard it a hundred times and maybe said it yourself a time or two. So what's my point?

My point is this. When we speak ill of our company we are in reality speaking ill of ourselves because WE ARE THE COMPANY. I am always surprised by the blank stares or complete silence I get when I ask someone who has been complaining about the company, they, who do you think the company is? That then opens the door for me to give my brief lecture on the fact that the company is made up of those people that comprise its everyday workforce. Those people are each and everyone of us that draw a check from the company we work for.

Let me suggest that you make sure that everyone in your organization is aware that the company is us and they are part of us. When people thoroughly understand that they have an important stake in how the company is perceived by the customer and general public maybe, just maybe, they will begin changing some of their behavior. Maybe they won't and those are the ones you take to lunch and buy theirs to go.

I know that in many cases when I take the time to explain who "they" really is, I see a change in their attitude toward the company. I know, I know, you are saying yeah, but the majority of my people really don't care and  in some cases that may be true but isn't it worth the effort to try and change the thinking of one person, then a second person etc.? Think of the positive impact you can have on your company if just a few change their thinking.

So let me suggest you try this little experiment. The next time someone is complaining about the "company they", just ask "who is they" and see the response. If may just be the opening you need to give the explanation that so few people understand.

On another subject, hope to see many of you in Omaha next Saturday, June 29 at the sales workshop we are doing entitled "Effective Selling in Today's Economy". It's a no nonsense, here's what works, approach to bringing in new customers. Hope you can attend. Just go to www.bscai.org, click on the events icon and you can get registerd---only $99 for members and $199 for  non members. I am confident we will provide you with important sales approaches that you can use the day you get back in your office.

Till next time.

No comments: