Wednesday, February 29, 2012

ASK FOR THE ORDER

One of the interesting observations I have had over my many years in this business and employing numerous sales people is that many of them overlook one major thing when presenting a proposal. They fail to ASK FOR THE ORDER. Let me give you an example,

I employed one gentlemen a few years back that was a good looking chap, dressed well, and was just naturally friendly and likeable. He had no trouble securing opportunities to present proposals to prospects.

He would deliver the information and when I questioned him on how the presentation went, his answer almost always was, "it went great, they really like me, I know they are going to go with us". The problem was very few did. So, I spent more time delivering proposals with him and found that he never asked any closing questions. I eventually had to terminate his services. I took him to lunch and bought his to go. I should also mention that I made several presentations with and for him in the training period so he knew the sales process I was looking for.

You see, there are several opportunities during a presentation to ask for the order.
Let me review a few obvious ones,


1. I don't like being billed at the first of the month. Our reply can be when would you like to be invoiced? If we invoice on the day you want, will you award us the business. We can start as early as ____________.

2. Do you usually start on a weekend? Our reply, we can start when you want. How about _______________________?

3. How much room do you need for your supplies and equipment? Our reply, why don't we walk to the closet and double check the room you have and I can give you a better idea? Note: No matter how much room they have it is enough. We then say something like, this will work perfect, how about we establish a start day, say, ________? It also gives the prospect the opportunity to see the current providers dirty closet.

4. Would you be keeping the current employees? Our reply, are there employees that you would like us to keep? We will guarantee each of them an interview (you will note I didn't say guarantee a job, just an interview. Never guarantee a job).

5. You're to high? (This one comes into play if you haven't reviewed the specifications without the pricing and got them to agree to the 10% plus or minus idea I discuss in my Selling Contract Cleaning Services 101 book?
Answer something like this--Can you give me an idea of the dollar amount in your budget? With that number we can together discuss the specifications and arrive at some frequency adjustments that can meet the budget you are planning. Note: Never automatically get to their price without some sort of adjustment even if it is small.

6. I want to think it over? The facts of life are that no matter how professional you appear and how professional your proposal is, there will be times, many times, that you get that phrase, "I want to think it over". You then have another opportunity to close by asking,
"So that I can prepare the information that you need, just exactly what is it that you are wanting to think over? You see, I want your business and it is important that I present you with all the facts so you can make the correct decision". Their answer then dictates where you go next. You have to be prepared to provide the information for them and set another appointment for delivery.

So many sales people respond to this "I want to think it over" phrase by saying "Okay, I'll check back with you". When you say that you have left them off the hook and you have just given a competitor an opening. Always ask what it is that they want to think over and remind them at the same time how important their business is to you.

I also realize there are times, many times, when you are asked to just leave the proposal because it is going to a "committee" or the "boss" for review. In that case, ask who the decision makers are so you can prepare a proposal for them as well. You want everyone in the decision making process to have their own copy. Also, always ask when the committee meets and if you can present to the whole committee. Most of the times you won't get the opportunity but you won't know unless you ask. Sometimes you are given the opportunity.

So, always be looking to close the sale.You see, every objection the prospect has puts you one step closer to a sale. If you don't ask for the order it is difficult to make the sale.

Don't forget to sign up for our free weekly pod casts at www.tripodcast.com. They are short, concise, helpful subjects that can help you in your business and everyday life.

Till next time.


No comments: